67’s kick off road swing with tight loss to Spitfires
OTTAWA, ON – A defensive battle broke out in Windsor on Thursday night as the Ottawa 67’s came up just short in a 2-1 loss to the Spitfires.
This was anyone’s game all evening with the game still scoreless until midway through the third period, when the Spitfires finally broke through with goals just over a minute apart. But Ottawa would respond less than two minutes later to cut the deficit in half, as Sasha Chmelevski continued his torrid scoring pace when he chipped in with his 30th of the year.
Unfortunately, that was as close as Ottawa would get in this one as both goalies turned in strong efforts. Olivier Tremblay finished with 22 saves, while his Windsor counterpart Michael DiPietro turned away 26 shots to pick up the win.
The game is the first of five-straight the 67’s will play on the road as the club battles for playoff positioning with the OHL regular season winding down. Ottawa currently sits seventh in the OHL’s Eastern Conference.
- The 67’s are on an extended road trip, with their next home game coming up March 4 at The Arena at TD Place.
- 67’s defenceman had three of his team’s 12 shots in the first period.
- With his goal on Thursday, Sasha Chmelevski becomes the first 67’s player to hit 30 goals in a season since Dante Salituro finished the 2015-2016 season with 38.
- The 67’s had a 31-23 edge in the face-off circle.
- Both Ottawa and Windsor had just one powerplay each. Neither team scored with the advantage.
67’s single-game tickets start at $12 and are available at Ottawa67s.com/Single-Game-Tickets, by calling 613.232.6767 or in person at The Box Office at TD Place. All minor hockey players part of the 67’s Prospect Program get in for FREE. For more information on the 67’s Prospect Program click here.