Two 67’s celebrating birthdays on Game Day
It’s a new year in more ways than one for 67’s defenceman Noel Hoefenmayer and winger Quinn Yule, who celebrate their 19th and 18th birthdays, respectively, on Saturday.
The North York, Ont. native has been a mainstay on the 67’s blueline since the Barber Poles drafted him in the second round of the 2015 OHL Priority Selection Draft.
After a rookie season saw him score twice and add three assists over 45 games, Hoefenmayer took a huge step forward last season, scoring 14 goals and finishing the year with 40 points in 623 games. His sophomore success led to the left-handed d-man being drafted by the Arizona Coyotes in the fourth round of the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.
After attending his first NHL training camp in the fall, Hoefenmayer returned for a third season in Ottawa as one of the leaders of the 67’s. Heading into Saturday’s game against the Petes, Hoefenmayer has four goals and 17 points in 37 games.
The 6-foot, 190-lbs Hoefenmayer started his OHL career after playing Minor Midget for the Don Mills Flyers.
What else was going on when Noel Hoefenmayer was born on January 6, 1999?
- The Ottawa Senators beat the Detroit Red Wings 2-0
- The #1 pop song was I’m Your Angel by R. Kelly and Celine Dion.
- The average price of a new car was $20,472
- A Civil Action, starring John Travolta and Robert Duvall was tops at the box office.
- The Sopranos was the most-watched TV show.
The 6-foot-5 native of Uxbridge, Ont. is in his first full season as a full-time 67 after suiting up for just one game last season while with spending most of the year with the Newmarket Hurricanes of the OJHL.
Yule is getting a regular shift with the 67’s this year and entering Saturday’s contest against Peterborough has a pair of goals and two assists in 30 games.
Prior to being selected by Ottawa in the second round of the 2017 OHL Priority Selection Draft, Yule had a big year for in Minor Midget, scoring 18 goals and 38 points in 30 games for the Central Ontario Wolves.
What else was going on when Quinn Yule was born on January 6, 2000
- The Ottawa Senators beat the Phoenix Coyotes 5-2.
- Former 67 Gary Roberts had a goal for the Carolina Hurricanes in a 7-3 win over the Boston Bruins.
- The #1 song was Smooth by Sanata and Rob Thomas.
- The Virgin Suicides was the top movie.
- Exactly 80 years earlier, the New York Yankees acquired Babe Ruth from the Boston Red Sox.