Chmelevski hat trick leads 67’s to 7-1 win over Frontenacs
Sasha Chmelevski led the way with a hat trick, while goalie Mikey DiPietro made 19 saves in a 7-1 win for the 67’s over the visiting Kingston Frontenacs on Wednesday night.
The teams traded goals early in the game with Chmelevski opening the scoring with his 16th of the year before the Frontenacs briefly tied it on a goal by Ian Derungs.
The San Jose Sharks prospect would score twice more before the second period was three minutes old to give the 67’s a lead they wouldn’t give up. Marcos Rossi scored twice, while Austen Keating and Lucas Chiodo also found the back of the net for the Barber Poles.
The 67’s return to action Friday night at 7 p.m for the first of back-to-back home games against Guelph and Niagara (Saturday, 7 p.m.) at The Arena at TD Place.
What they’re saying
Andre Tourigny, 67’s Head Coach
“For us, this game was about not creating bad habits. We wanted to keep focusing on our game and our guys did a really good job, I’m really happy with the way the guys responded. If we play like that this week end, I like our chances. I think our guys showed a lot of maturity and a lot of commitment.”
Sasha Chmelevski, 67’s forward
On getting scoring from all four lines… “I think it’s great. I think that’s scary for other teams, they don’t know who to match up. I think when we get scoring from everybody, it just makes us a deeper team.”
On his first multi-goal game of the year…. “It was going for me. I thought I did a good job getting to the net, but the boys did a really good job finding me.”
- The 67’s were 2-for-3 on the powerplay on Wednesday.
- The 67’s had a 36-23 edge in the face-off circle, with Mitch Hoelscher leading the way at 14/18.
- Marco Rossi has a two-point edge in the rookie scoring race, though he has played 10 fewer games than Sarnia’s Jacob Perreault in second place.
- Nikita Okhotyuk had three assists against Kingston. Austen Keating had a goal and two assists.
- The top four players in terms of plus/minus in the OHL are 67’s: Felhaber (+45), Keating (+44), Rossi (+37), Rippon (+37).