To say that it has been a long time between Ottawa 67’s games would be an understatement.
The Barber Poles’ most recent game action was on March 10, 2020, in a contest that ended up being a 9-1 win over the Niagara IceDogs. At the time, Ottawa was comfortably sitting atop the OHL standings, with their sights set on their first Robertson Cup since 2001, before COVID-19 handed the season a heartbreaking ending, and fans were left wondering how long it would be before their 67’s returned to the ice.
Their wait finally ends today, with the Barber Poles visiting Peterborough to take on the Petes in preseason action, and play their first game in nearly 18 months. Puck drop is set for 2pm EDT, and 67’s fans can listen live on Ottawa radio TSN 1200, while also following the 67’s social media channels for live updates.
It will be a new-look Ottawa team taking to the ice at the Peterborough Memorial Centre for this Labour Day classic. New head coach Dave Cameron, and assistant coach Martin Dagenais will see their first action as members of the organization, and of course, new players will be in the mix as well. This includes recent commits; centre Jack Dever, goaltender Collin MacKenzie, and left wing Will Gerrior, all of whom formally committed to the 67’s after outstanding training camps.
There is no lack of talented returners around, either. Names like Cam Tolnai, Adam Varga, Will Cranley, and others are sure to be familiar to 67’s fans.
The Barber Poles’ line combinations will appear as follows, this afternoon:
Luca Pinelli – Cam Tolnai – Brenden Sirizzotti
Will Gerrior – Yanic Crete – Adam Varga
Cooper Foster – Chris Barlas – Bradley Gardiner
Brady Stonehouse – Steven Laforme – Jack Dever
Teddy Sawyer – Anthony Costantini
Matthew Mayich – Ranvir Gill-Shane
Derek Smyth – Thomas Sirman
- Ottawa held four intrasquad games over the weekend, as the roster begins to take shape. Fans watching live via the team’s Twitch channel were treated to some high-octane, physical, competitive hockey as the team ramps up their preparation heading into the season.
- Look out for 2021 draft picks Chris Barlas, Luca Pinelli, Cooper Foster, Jack Dever and Bradley Gardiner, all of whom are making their OHL debuts this afternoon, after shining in training camp.
- For the Petes, this is also their first preseason action, upon winding down their training camp over the past few days.
- This afternoon’s contest will be the first of six preseason games for the Barber Poles, as they get ready for the season opener in Kingston against the Frontenacs, on October 8.
- Today is the first time that the 67’s have faced the Petes since February 8, 2020.
- It is the first 67’s preseason game since September 15, 2019, and first against OHL competition since September 13, 2019.