It was Friends night inside The Arena at TD Place on Friday night, as the Ottawa 67’s had a heated battle that was tight until the very end against the Peterborough Petes, with a final score of 3-1 in favour of the visitors. Austen Keating was the lone goal scorer for the Barber Poles, who shot 33 times at the opposing net.
Arizona Coyotes prospect Liam Kirk scored the very first goal of the game late in the first period, with just over 10 seconds left to give his team the lead with a shot from a very tight angle.
Ottawa came out guns blazing in the second period, dominating the opposition throughout the twenty minutes, but oddly enough, it was Cameron Butler who scored the lone goal of the period, giving Peterbororough a 2-0 lead heading into the third.
In a game where it seemed that the 67’s were getting no puck luck, while going head to head against a hot goaltender in Hunter Jones, Austen Keating finally tickled twine late in the third period, with a minute and a half left on the board, cutting the lead in half and putting the Barber Poles within just one. Max Grondin would however crush all hopes of a comeback with 58 seconds left, as he shot the puck in an empty net. Final score, 3-1 Petes.
POST GAME COMMENTS
67’s Head Coach André Tourigny
“I think it was one of those nights. You can try to find negatives, but at the same time, other than the result, the rest is pretty positive. We worked really hard, we possessed the puck, outshot them and had more scoring chances, we did a lot of good things out there.”
“Their goalie made some saves in traffic, I wish he would’ve had to make a little bit more of those. That’s something we can adress, but like I said, it’s almost unfair to try and find negatives because, other than the scoreboard, I think it was a pretty good effort from our guys.”
- The 67’s outshot the Petes 33-18 in this game.
- Ottawa was dominant in the second period, outshooting the opponent 19-3 in the period.
- Both teams had a 0% on the power play in this game, as Peterborough went 0/4 and Ottawa 0/3.
- With his goal tonight, Austen Keating has stretched his point streak to four consecutive games, in which he has put up 7 points (3G, 4A).
- With an assist, Marco Rossi also extended his point streak to five games. In those games, he has piled up 10 points (4G, 6A).
- The Barber Poles played in front of 3,032 fans who came out and supported the team for this game.